My Journey to Huawei HCIE

My Journey to Huawei HCIE

Note: this is often a guest post by Ahmed Zeeshan, HCIE# 11848. We are grateful to him for sharing his HCIE journey on our blog so as to assist those that want to travel for this esteemed certification.

In case you've got any queries or would really like to attach with Ahmed, you'll drop him a message on his LinkedIn.

My Journey to Huawei HCIE 🙂

Back in my university days, the topic I disliked the foremost was Computer Networks. However, once I was within the final semester, our university offered CCNA training course for college kids who had an interest in Computer Networks, but I took this course as a challenge.

It was very soon that I started taking interest in Networks and commenced twiddling with Cisco devices on simulators like Packet Tracer and GNS3 as a result of which, I got my first job at PTCL (Pakistan Telecommunications) a couple of weeks after I had graduated back in 2008. By 2009, I used to be Cisco CCNA certified which proved to be an enormous confidence-booster and set me on my career path.

The fixed-line network operator for which I was working had Huawei Datacom devices, but I never thought about doing any Huawei certifications as Cisco was everybody’s go-to vendor. So, I continued taking Cisco exams and by 2011, I used to be CCIP (Cisco Certified Internetwork Professional – Retired Certification Exam) certified.

Meanwhile, I also switched my job to a GSM operator where the entire MPLS core comprised Juniper. So, I started studying Juniper and decided to require Juniper exams also and after about 3 years, I became Juniper’s JNCIP certified too in 2014.

Since that GSM network also had a number of Huawei devices and that I got an opportunity to urge my hands dirty on them from time to time, I used to be always as comfortable with Huawei as I was with Cisco or Juniper, therefore. Hence, the next ISP that I joined comprised Huawei MPLS core.

Although I even have been working with this company for six years now, until last year I didn’t find any charm in Huawei certifications. I rather prepared for Cisco CCIE exams (SP and R&S) and also took R&S written exam twice and the SP exam once but never appeared in the lab exam. Cutting the long story short, I had lost all my interest in traditional certifications and started focusing on new technologies and related certifications like OCSA, AWS. I started learning Python and Cloud-based technologies.

At an equivalent time, our employer provided us with certain training materials for a few of the newest technologies like 5G, NFVs, SDNs, and Cloud solutions. I started developing a keen interest in these new technologies and indulged myself in materials and case studies related to them. After a short time, our employer provided us with associate-level exam vouchers, and that I immediately grabbed the chance and ready myself for the HCIA-Cloud Solutions Architect exam.

It gave me enough motivation to prepare for an expert level certification yet again and this time, it was Huawei’s HCIE R&S as I was highly impressed with the study material shared with us.

So, I with some of my friends formed a study group to prepare for the exam. First, I passed the written exam which was the simplest part of this esteemed certification. It enhanced my confidence and got me more motivated to go for the lab exam.

In the second phase, I started preparing for the tough lab exam and after many hours of in-depth study and practice, I managed to ace the HCIE lab. If you ask my honest opinion, the lab exam was very testing because it was an 8 hours lengthy exam and required tons of patience and time management to get through. The final part of this certification consisted of an hour-long one-to-one interview. For me, it had been the toughest part of this certification because the interviewer tested me on all concepts associated with questions asked within the exam.

I am grateful to Allah, the Almighty that together with his help and blessings, my efforts have paid off and after 6 months of diligence and toil, I am HCIE (HCIE# 11848) certified now 🙂



Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post